2006 Short Story Contest
Get Published — Win $50!
The Tarpeian Rock has sponsored writing contests for older kids and teens ages 12 through 18—a poetry contest in 2003 and a short story contest in 2004. The winners of these contests had their pieces published in The Tarpeian Rock and won $50 besides. If you would like to read them, please feel free to request sample copies of the 2004 and/or 2005 issues.
Our humorous essay contest in 2005 didn't go over as well as we would have liked, so this year, we have decided to go back to a genre which attracted considerable interest before: the short story. To qualify, the following criteria must be met:
* The author of the story must be between the ages of 12 and 18 as of December 31, 2006.
* The story must be 2,000 words or less.
* The story must be an original previously unpublished work.
* The setting of the story must be an event or incident from one of the following:
* The Peloponnesian War (431 BC to 401 BC).
* The Roman persecution of the early Christians (AD 40 to AD 306).
* The life of the Emperor Heraclius (AD 575 to AD 641).
* The life of Charlemagne (AD 742 to AD 814).
* The life of St. Dominic de Guzmán (AD 1170 to AD 1221).
* The life of St. Francis Xavier (AD 1506 to AD 1552).
* The local history of your town or state before 1800.
* Stories will be judged on theme, style, creativity and adherence to the rules. Those stories will be rated highest which demostrate a flair for language, appropriate use of wit or humor, and an understanding of traditional Western virtues, such as piety, honor, loyalty, hope, faith, charity, fortitude, devotion to family, etc.
* Stories which contain gross vulgarity, obscenity, or attacks on Judeo-Christian belief or morality will be disqualified.
The editors of The Tarpeian Rock will choose one (1) winner. The winner will receive a $50 award and the story will be published in the 2007 edition of The Tarpeian Rock.
All selections will be final and not subject to appeal. Friends and family of Arx Publishing and its members are ineligible to participate.
Entries should be sent to the address below no later than December 31, 2006. The winner and honorable mention authors will be notified on or before March 15, 2007.
Arx Publishing, LLC
Attn: Tarpeian Rock Contest
PO Box 1333
Merchantville NJ 08109-0333, USA
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Short Story Contest
One great way to get kids writing is to add a little competition to the mix. Here is a writing contest from Arx Publishing.