Tuesday, September 22, 2009

PSN5: The Rosary

When I received this little book in the mail I thought to myself, "Sigh. Yet another book on the rosary." I know that sounds terrible, but in my defense I do have a whole shelf full of rosary books. However, it was written by fellow blogger Karen Edmisten, and being a fan I gave it a read. And I'm glad I did. It was fresh and I loved it.

Not only did I love it, but my teen daughter loved it. During a long drive one afternoon, just the two of us with her driving, she asked me to read it aloud to her. As side note I have to interject here that I love homeschooling. I don't know many, if any, non-homeschooled students who would ask their mom to please, please read a book on the rosary to them.

Anyway, back to my mini review, Karen not only taught my daughter and me about the history and the beauty of the rosary but she touched our emotion. I found myself at moments, when Karen talks of her fallen past, with tears welling up in my eyes. Being a recovering heathen myself, I was quite moved by Karen's discovery of the Church and the rosary after years of atheism.

So, with all that said, I've decided to recommend Karen's book on the Pope St. Nicholas V list. I think it belongs not only on your bookshelf but on the library's shelf as well. It is a short easy read yet packed full of vital information -- perfect for today's reader.


To read past library recommendations, or to join the email list, visit: Pope Saint Nicholas V.

Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

Title: The Rosary: Keeping Company With Jesus and Mary
Author: Karen Edmisten
Publisher: Saint Anthony Messenger Press
Date Published: May 2009
ISBN-10: 0867168757
ISBN-14: 978-0867168754
Price: 8.99, softcover
Reviews:
Conversion Diary
Danielle Bean
Nancy Carpentier Brown
Links to many, many more positive reviews can be found at Karen's blog.

3 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

Maureen, what a beautiful and touching review! Thank you so much. I am very grateful for your kind and generous words, and for your daughter's enthusiasm as well.

And thanks, too, for the PSN5 recommendation!

God bless!

Maureen said...

Thank you Karen for writing it. I honestly went through a few Kleenex in that first part. I'm such a baby I know, but I couldn't help but be moved. I'm not sure if it was simply your story, the fact that I know your story as a friend, or my own story as a fallen human. But I was touched and I thank you.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

It is indeed a beautiful review of an awesome book. Thank you, Maureen!