Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Spear: A Novel of the Crucifixion


A few years ago I read The Spear by Louis de Wohl as part of a magazine assignment. It just so happened to be Holy Week that I read it. It turned out to be a wonderful coincidence. Reading The Spear helped my Holy Week to be truly holy, truly spiritual.

The de Wohl historical fiction books are reprints from the 1940’s and 50’s. This title tells the story of a hardened Roman centurion named Longinus. Tradition tells us that Longinus is the one who pierced Christ’s side at the crucifixion.

The Spear could also be given to a teenager. Teen son loooves the de Wohl novels, as much as his mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just ordered a set of 8 books by Louis de Wohl at the Catholic Homeschool conference yesterday. The Spear is in the collection! I'll read THAT one first!

Maureen said...

Perfect timing! Your guardian angel must have whispered in my ear to blog about de Wohl :-)

Hillside Education said...

This is one of my all time favorite books! You're right - great for Lent. People have asked me to write a study guide for it, but I would just want the reader to experience it. I think the response to it is very personal and spiritual. I love books like that! One for kids (7-9 grade)that does that is The Bronze Bow, another of my all-time favorites.
Margot