Friday, December 04, 2009

Have You Missed Me?

While in St. Louis for Thanksgiving, my mother, who does not have internet and no clue as to how one surfs the internet, scolded me, "How come you haven't been writing in that blog thingy!!!" Apparently, my sister Chrissy likes to keep up on my life via Blogger and she complained to my mother that I haven't written in a zillion years. Plus, being the good daughter she is, Chrissy will call Mom and read my posts to her when I write something remotely interesting.

I explained to my mother that my life is busy. You know that whole homeschool mom thing and now business owner on top of it. Running Homeschool Connections leaves just enough time for the kids and not enough for blogging. "Besides," I defended myself, "Chrissy can get Facebook if she wants to follow me." I only got a blank stare with that one. Did I mention my mom doesn't have internet?

I left things at that, traveled home to Michigan, got back to my life and ignored my poor pitiful blog. And then the phone call came. It was Mom. "I have a favor to ask as your mother." I knew I was in trouble. Whenever you mother starts a sentence like that you start thinking, "Please let it be a little favor, please," because, as you all know, you can't say "No" to your mom when she says that. If you do, then you'll get the Catholic-mother-guilt-trip. You know the one, "Oh, that's okay. I don't mind really. It's not like I gave up my whole life just to birth you or anything. I wouldn't want you to go out of your way for me. I should be more selfless as your mother and the person who gave you the gift of life. So don't worry about it. It's okay." I know this is true because I use the Catholic-mother-guilt-trip on my own children and it works like a charm.

Where was I? Oh yes, "I have a favor to ask as your mother. Write in your blog thingy just once a week. That's all I'm asking. Just once a week. It would make your sister so happy."

So, here I am writing. My sister better be reading this. Though I'm not so sure about the prospect of her calling my mom and reading it to her. Thankfully, she's 500 miles away and can't threaten to ground me for my bad tone of voice (I got in trouble for that a lot. That and eye rolling.)

I hereby promise to write in my blog thingy once a week. At least until my sister gets that Facebook thingy.

5 comments:

Renee said...

I like that ole fashioned Catholic guilt :)

Anonymous said...

Well, it is about time! I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth. And I don't facebook either, so stick with the blog thingy, please. :-)
Teresa

Mary Alice Phillips said...

Thank you, Maureen's Mom. I've missed you too!

Anonymous said...

I confess, my blog has been all but neglected since my sister got me on Facebook! Only so many hours in a day.

Anonymous said...

Just because I don't write on mine doesn't mean I don't read other blogs! I've missed you and I'm glad you're back.