Monday, March 23, 2009

PSN5: Mother Teresa's Secret Fire

To read past library recommendations, or to join the email list, visit: Pope Saint Nicholas V.

Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

Title: Mother Teresa's Secret Fire: The Encounter That Changed Her Life and How It Can Transform Your Own
Author: Joseph Langford
Publisher: Our Sunday Visitor
Date Published: October 2008
ISBN-10: 159276309X
ISBN-13: 978-1592763092
Price: Hardcover, $19.95 (Amazon price: $13.57)
Reviews:
Catholic Fire
Vox Nova

1 comment:

Edward Yablonsky said...

Langford’s book is divided into three separate sections. In the first section, “Fire in the Night”, he shares the call within a call – the “divine mandate” that she received from God to be His light in the darkest of all places – to pitch her tent in the blackest of places that she might shine His radiance. He reveals the secret of why God chose Mother Teresa for this work and the inner fire that changed her life. In the second section, Illumination, he introduces the festival of light that emerges from the divine fire – the light which helped her to see the face of God more clearly in others and the light which attracted others to her. In the final section, Transformation, Langford shows how the consuming fire within changes the soul of Mother Teresa and reveals to us how it can change us as well.

As a writer, I am rarely at a loss for words, but I must tell you, Mother’s Teresa’s Secret Fire has left me speechless. I can’t think of an adequate way to describe this book that hasn’t already been said. Next to my Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, this is the most spiritually vital and inspiring book that I have ever read.

I have read many books on the life and the spirituality of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta and have had questions about her call and her perseverance in responding to God’s call. This book addresses those questions and explains Mother Teresa’s motivations in a clear, intimate, and beautifully inspiring way.
The above is posted from the book review and propels/compels me to reserve the book which I did in Phoenix.I am not Catholic at present but find these books very inspiring. I have read of the acts of Pope Pius XII and his relation to Pope Pius XI from many sources and I can but say He is an heroic and blessed figure in the world.I have read R Zolli's book extolling this pontiff who was the only voice in a dark age who spoke up for the persecuted Jews . The only one in the European leadership of that time. He had tremendous courage and I know that very well.