Monday, November 27, 2006

Recovering Catholics?

I have it from a reliable source that the mayor of my city refers to himself as a "recovering Catholic." I find this insulting. As if Catholicism is something so dark and sinister as alcholism or drug addiction.

Apparently, this is the new "in" phrase for ex-Catholics. Perhaps they don't mean it as an insult and I should just let it roll off my back. Or not.

I currently refer to myself as a "practicing Catholic." (Practice makes perfect you know!) Maybe I'll start referring to myself as a "recovering heathen" instead. But then, I don't want to insult practicing heathens.

1 comment:

Therese Z said...

Late comment, but I called myself that for years. Struck me clever at the time, I was freeing myself from Catholic guilt, from lockstep obedience, from antiquated sexual notions, blah blah blah. I said I hoped I'd fully recover.

I think this was the same time I hoped there would be an "American Catholic church" so that we could drop all those silly rules.

Sigh. I was such an idiot. I am waiting, waiting for someone to use that phrase to me, so I can smile and ask them what they're recovering from, and then ponder their answer.