Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Woman's Choice and College Writing Courses


Teen Son and I went to the community college bookstore to purchase the last of his books today as some had been back ordered. The style guide for his composition class is The Little Penguin Handbook. I opened it to a random page to check it out and found the example for apostrophe use to be: "a woman's choice." Okay, you can't tell me that wasn't put in there for political reasons. I'm sure this is just the very beginning of PC junk he'll be finding in his classes.

I can't wait to get him to Franciscan University! (Oh, if they only had muzzleloading scholarships!!!)

2 comments:

Simple Faith and Life said...

I keep trying to think of something encouraging to say about this. :) My fourth child started college today so I'm there with you. I happened to open one of his promising books (Ethical Ambition) yesterday to discover the author telling how he gave up Christianity. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist anymore (on a human level), but I do think the devil has a conspiracy, if we want to call it that. However, I believe a whole lot of great Catholics (and other Christians) have gone to secular colleges and kept strong in their faith and their lives. I think the best thing for sending our kids to college is what you like to say: Pray and breathe! :)

xxxxxx said...

From what I hear, the danger is just as great at a college like Marquette or Georgetown...so what to do?
Call me naive, but I wonder if kids well educated in the faith have to worry as much????? though I was not as educated (not by a long shot) in the faith I would have never bought some of this garbage. Maybe too naturally conservative!