Friday, October 03, 2008

Celiac and the Eucharist

I've been wanting to post more about celiac disease today but life has been beckoning. We're finally having our house warming party tomorrow. Rob wanted to wait until we had everything done -- painting, repairs, boxes put away -- but then it would be our retirement party. I'm sure our friends won't mind a few unpainted walls or unopened boxes.

Anyway, I've been cleaning and baking all day and can't think deeply enough to write a coherent post. So, for today, I'll provide a couple of links.

Chrysd asked in the comments about Sparky and Communion. And I plan on posting about that next week as we have a bit of an issue with our new parish and plan on talking to our pastor again this Sunday. Please pray that it ends well.

In the meantime, you can read about Sparky's First Communion in spite of his inability to take Jesus in the form of bread. You can also read Christian's take at No Question Left Behind
(from four years ago).

I should be recovered from the party by Monday and ready to blog again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maureen, I was looking forward to your house warming but now I am really looking forward to it after hearing that you have been baking all day!! See you tomorrow. Brenda

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

There is a young priest we know who was recently diagnosed with it!

Nerina said...

Hi Maureen,

I've had occasion to read your blog before, but today I am visiting to find out more about homeschooling. Anyway, I noticed the title of this blog post and wanted to make you aware of "Low Gluten" hosts that are approved for the liturgy by the USCCB.

Both my husband and my oldest son (who is an Aspie, btw) have celiac disease. However, they are both able to consume these hosts without incident. And they are both very sensitive to gluten (even crumbs in the butter can get them). Anyway, it is something to consider. You can get them through the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. We've been using them for 2 years. And my husband's SI biopsy still comes back negative.

Also, we have another son who we call "Sparky" too. He's 9 and his hair is red (well, all of our kids have red hair), hence the nick-name.

Maureen said...

Thank you Nerina. I'm glad to hear your husband's biopsy looks good. We've refrained from using the low-gluten host as I'm concerned about giving it to a child who is still growing. (Our Sparky is 10.)

I got a free sample from the sisters a week ago and plan to take it to our pastor this week.

We've had a bit of an issue over all this in our new parish. Once it's all resolved I'll write about it on the blog.

Nerina said...

I should mention that when I said my husband's biopsy is negative, it means it looks healed and the villi are not damaged and compressed (his blood work still comes back positive, though, and the doctor said it probably always will).

Before the low-gluten hosts, my husband and son received the Eucharist under the appearance of wine. We had many people try to tell us to use the rice substitutes. When we explained they were invalid matter for the sacrament, we were told we were being too legalistic - that Jesus really wouldn't care.

I don't know if that echoes any of your experience, but I don't see why receiving only from the chalice is problematic. I look forward to your posting on this.

Thanks, Maureen. Love your blog.

Maureen said...

The problem we're having in the new parish is that the pastor uses the chalice with the piece of Host in the Precious Blood for Communion. We've never had that happen before. We went to the pastor and he's not being very understanding about it all.