Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Danny Davis Foundation

When choosing a college to attend, Franciscan University in Steubenville was Danny's top choice. Unfortunately, it was just out of his reach financially. After scholarships, loans, grants, savings, he was still $2,000 short. In the end, he chose to attend Michigan State University instead.

I know in my heart of hearts that if Danny had attended FU he would still be alive today. For this reason, I plan to start a scholarship fund in Danny's name that would award $2,000 scholarships to financially strapped FU students.

This is still in the dream stage. It'll be a few years before I can pull it together, but it will happen.

2 comments:

Billy Valentine said...

I am going to be a sophomore at Franciscan and think your idea is great.

Franciscan is one of the cheapest of high-ranking private colleges... But it is still very expensive, especially because many students come from large Catholic families who don't have much money to spear.

I have many friends that are strapped financially. It is a big stress.

I read what happened to your nephew. I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

I run College Republicans and also am the Business Manager of the Franciscan student newspaper, the Troubadour. One thing I've been doing is fundraising, and took an extensive class from the Leadership Institute on how to fundraise.

Let me know if you need any guidance for how to get the scholarship off the ground.

Billy Valentine FUS '09
collegerepublicansfus@yahoo.com

love2learnmom said...

Maureen - I just wanted to let you know that I think that's an awesome and very positive idea to start a scholarship fund. We've been especially remembering Danny since Aug. 22 is our anniversary and we lost our 24 year old nephew last year.

God Bless,

Alicia