Friday, October 26, 2007

Schneider: Lack of oversight for home-schooled alarms educator

I'm so stunned at the lack of journalistic professionalism in this article from the Lansing State Journal, that I'm not quite sure what to say. The sad thing is that I normally like John Schneider's daily column.
She had a bad feeling about this one, beginning with her doubts that the parents of the girl were capable of providing academic training to their daughter. Head offered me convincing evidence to support those doubts, but asked, for the sake of the family's privacy, that I not reveal the specifics.

He can't give us specifics -- we're just supposed to accept his word there is convincing evidence?

He goes on to quote another public educator, but there is no representation from the homeschooling community.

Fair and balanced reporting? What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an ignorant, lazy journalist!

I say he's ignorant because everyone who says such things about homeschoolers doesn't know all the facts.

He's lazy because a good journalist is supposed to get both sides of ths story. He didn't bother.

Anonymous said...

What I would like to know is:
Did Mr. Schneider call the alleged unfit-to-homeschool parents?
Did he give them the opportunity to defend themselves against Ms. Head's allegations?
Did he talk to them personally so he could make his own assessment of the parents?

While the reporter did not give the names of the parents, I guarantee you that every child and parent in that school will know their name by Monday morning. Their name will be mud and it appears from the article that they were not given the opportunity to give their side of the story.

If I call John Schneider and tell him I know of a public school teacher who is incompetant and is not being held accountable, will he report it in his column without first getting the teacher's side of the story?

Anonymous said...

I think that Alice makes a very good point. The reporter notes in the column that he wants to protect the parents' privacy, but he gives just enough information so every family member, friend, neighbor, and former school mate of their child, will know exactly who they are. I would be very upset, and feel slandered, if I were those parents.

Perhaps, they are unfit parents. It does happen. It is possible. But I don't think this story was handled correctly at all.