Monday, November 10, 2008

Amazon Purchases and Children's Literature Book

I could use my readers' help. If you're planning on making any purchases at Amazon.com you could help me out by clicking on the Amazon ad in the sidebar (or any of the book cover graphics). Amazon will then give me a small commission to be used on future purchases.

Here's why:
When I wrote For the Love of Literature, my library was a huge help. There is no way I could have afforded to purchase the 900 books listed in For the Love of Literature but I could borrow them from the library. My former library in Lansing is part of a huge library district. What I couldn't find through inner-library loan I could borrow through their inter-library system. They had the gold standard when it came to library systems. Then I moved.

Unfortunately, my new city's library system doesn't even begin to compare in services. We have one country library. The books are old and tattered. There is no inner- or inter-library lending. None. Nada. Zero. Zip. They tell me they are working on implementing an inter-library loan system but it's at least six months down the road.

I've already put my new book, 100 Books for Kids Who Love to Read on hold for the past several months. This book is taking a lot of research and a lot of reading. I've purchased a good number books that I can't get at my library but I've already wiped out the school budget for the next few years doing so. Now I'm stalled.

This is why I am coming to you. If you're going to make a purchase through Amazon.com anyway (and it doesn't have to be books -- it can be software, video games, appliances or anything), you can click there through my blog and help me purchase books for my research.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maureen,
Has it occurred to you to create an amazon wishlist for the books you need. Christmas is coming, and while I can't speak for the rest of your readers, I'd love to help you write your next book by contributing.
Just an idea...

Maureen said...

Oh Diana, you are so very sweet. Thank you.

I'll get my wish list together over the next few days.

And you all don't have to buy books for me. The wish list will help me keep track of what I need to buy.

Like I said, if you're going to make a purchase anyway at Amazon, you can help me make future purchases.

Maureen said...

I just finished putting up all the potential books on the Amazon Wish List. WOW! There is a lot! I think I'm going to try to write some of the publishers and ask for review copies. I'm going to be reading nonstop for the next year! Right now I'm reading Warriors, Thief Lord, and Eldest.