Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The History of Homeschooling: Documentary

This is an advertisement for a documentary on the history of the modern homeschooling movement: The Rock From Which We Were Hewn.



I remember back in the late '70's a family that was on the news several days running because they refused to put their children in school. The parents were arrested for the truency of their children. At the time I found it odd that a parent wouldn't allow their child an education. I hadn't yet heard the word homeschooling.

Then in the 80's I came to know a homeschooler in college. I immediately fell in love with the concept and made the decision then and there to home educate my children even though it would be nine more years before my first child was born.

When I first began homeschooling it was not uncommon to meet other homeschool families who were persecuted by the state for their educational choice. Michigan was one of the hardest states to homeschool in before the state Supreme Court overruled Michigan law. Yet, today our Democratically controlled house would like nothing better than put restrictions on homeschooling in the name of the State's interest.

The ad above looks to incite fear, at least to me, with it's music and dramatization. But then maybe a little fear isn't an altogether bad thing. I certainly don't want to go back to the days where I would have to black out my basement windows and keep my children locked inside during school hours.

We should never forget the homeschoolers who went before us and fought for our parental rights.

1 comment:

Homeschool Connections said...

Thanks for the post! Wow...we stumbled across a state of Texas freebie and did not think of it as a means to control us until now.