Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sons and Priests

One of the old gentlemen at church came up to me recently, put his arm around me, and told me, with complete certainty, "You'll have a priest for a son someday." Just out of the blue. He was so sure of himself that I find myself wondering which son it'll be.

Will it be the one who I just scolded for making fart noises with his armpits? Or maybe the one who, just an hour ago, was sent to his room for kicking his sister. Or, perhaps that little guy who insists he can't sleep in his own bed and climbs in with Mommy and Daddy every night. Or, maybe even, the one who has been discerning the priesthood since he was six but these days feels called to the married life.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, Maureen, you made me laugh out loud this morning! Thank you. :-)

Maureen said...

Yep Karen, I found myself laughing this morning too -- as I reminded a certain boy, for the millionth time, to stop picking his nose. I couldn't help but wonder silently, "Heaven help the church if you're the future priest!"

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oooooo, choices choices!