Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THE Counter

Today's hot spot is the counter. We have a long counter that separates the dining room from the living room and it's a junk magnet. Newspapers, mail, stuff. It's a mess. Problem is that today is a busy, busy day homeschool wise and I'll be away for a good portion of it. I think I bit off more than I can chew. I'm going to have to re-assess my goal for today. I think I'll shoot for getting all the newspapers out to the recycling bin as well as putting away any non-paper items. Then I'll put the counter back on the to-do list for next week.

The pantry went great yesterday. It's amazing how much more room you have when things are organized! One problem I have with my pantries is that they're deep so you forget about what's in back. (You wouldn't believe the stuff I found!) On one particularly deep and high shelf, I put a portable shelf so the items in the back are raised up higher than the items in front. It looks tidy and it's functional. In the smaller shelves, I put in little step-like shelves I bought at the kitchen store. Now I can see all the canned goods in that cabinet.

Krysten Snow (don't you absolutely love her name!) left a great tip in the comments:

I buy large canning jars, and fill them with nuts, seeds, beans, and dried fruits. They are a great size and you can see in them. Larger plastic containers are great for flour, lg. quantities of beans, popcorn, etc.


And I wouldn't even have to buy canning jars as I have dozens laying around in my laundry room (another hot spot). I did manage to put my brown sugar and powdered sugar into Tupperware bins. Though my motivation wasn't so much organization as I discovered that a certain child who lives here was putting his fingers into the bags for a little sugar treat several times a day! I hid the bins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we're not the only ones with the sugar monster. It took me several times of filling it up to realize that it was going away awfully quick. Also had to hide it.