Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Germany's Patron and the Wearing of Red

From my sister Chrissy:
Do you remember the choir teacher from when we were at Holy Ghost? I remember one year she was wearing red and we asked her about it. She said that it was some saint's feast day. He was the patron saint of Germany and on his feast you're supposed to wear red. Much like the Irish wear green on St. Patrick's feast day. I can't remember for the life of me the name of the saint. Do you know? I looked up "patron saint of Germany," but there are tons of them.
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what Chrissy is talking about. I remember the choir teacher, but not the red nor the saint. Can anyone help my sister with the saint's name?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the patron saint of Germany is St. Boniface, but I can't find any reference to wearing red on his feast day (June 5.) Some communities wear red on the feast day of St. Joseph, although I think it's more common to do so in Italy than in Germany ...

Anonymous said...

St. Martin...Who cut his cloak & shared it with a beggar? I remember lantern lit processions as a small child. :)