Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ancient Faces

I came across this YouTube video a few days ago while making my daily visit to Mike Aquilina's blog. It has been with me since and decided to share with you. Like Mike says below, it is haunting. And beautiful




David Meadows leads us to a haunting YouTube slide show of ancient portraits, most of them from Egypt’s Roman period and discovered in the Fayoum. Many are painted on burial cloths. My favorite image from this style and period now hangs in the Louvre. It portrays the deceased, a beautiful young Christian woman, holding the traditional Coptic cross, the ankh. (I discuss this image in my new book, Signs and Mysteries: Revealing Ancient Christian Symbols.)

These are lovely images. You’ll see their influence later in Byzantine icons. Enjoy the show!

And may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

No comments: