Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

I deplore horror movies. When I saw The Exorcist as a teenager, I experienced more than a week of sleepless nights. I never imagined exposing myself again to a horror movie, much less one on exorcism. Yet, The Exorcism of Emily Rose came highly recommended by several friends, and the older teens really wanted to see it. Rob and I knew that if we let them watch it, we needed to be there with them.

Even though I had my eyes closed through half the movie, I'm glad I saw it. It touched all of us. To tell you why would spoil the plot for you, so I will refrain. However, I will tell you that good comes from Emily's suffering and that God's hand is seen toward the end.

Warning: This movie is not for the faint of heart. Like I said, I couldn't keep my eyes open through a large part of it. Demonic posession is not pretty and its depiction is necessary to the plotline. (The half with my eyes open was the courtroom drama, and I do love a good courtroom drama.)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based on the true story of Anneliese Michel of Germany who died in 1976.

Here are a couple movie reviews:
LifeSite Special Report
And one by a priest:
Orthodox Priest Gives Two Thumbs Up for Exorcism Movie.

No comments: